14 October 2010

website misunderstandings/rant


recently after redoing the project slogan website (something that happens about every year), I've had some frustrating enquiries from 'web designers'. comments like these - 'you know you can really have more features on your website' or 'you can have flash banners and members areas and links to other people's websites' etc etc - just for the record, ALL OF WHICH I KNOW. finding it hard not to feel patrionised and also a touch feminist (when a guy contacts you saying he has 'years of design experience' and then HIS site is what I can only describe as a conglomeration of about 16 different fonts, unnecessary moving objects and a rainbow of shit colours). I know how to have all those features but I don't want them. I like simple, concise and to the point in a website that fits with the visual brand identity of the organisation

I would like to say a couple of things:

• the site is MEANT to be simple. in fact it gets simpler every time I redesign it. that's because otherwise you will email me saying 'where is that information on your site' because it isn't completely obvious and concise

• why do (especially men, sorry guys) have to assume I have no design experience myself? the reason I don't have a flash banner, a plethora of sections you couldn't possibly navigate easily within, buttons with every form of shading and graduated colour, links to other people's site's even though it's irrelevant, on screen animations, visitor counters and a page in which you have to scroll sideways like a mile and a half, is because I don't want them and I think they're crap, not because I wouldn't know that they exist or how to make them. I have LOOKED and USED other websites in my life

sorry. rant over. I certainly don't know it all when it comes to websites but I know what a shite one looks like. if you're a 'web designer' with 'years of experience' probably, 'fuck off'