17 August 2011

art club does good

this email totally made my day/year. schools genuinely don't teach art in the right way or environment so was so happy to hear kids talking about contemporary art and learning confidence in art making and getting feedback like this:


Hi Sarah,


I've been meaning to send you feedback on the first session. Here are some thoughts (both mine and H's):


H has been to lots of after school activities and I can say without hesitation that this was his favourite. Usually I have to do a bit of cajoling to get him to go along to classes, but I never once had to encourage him to go to Art Club. He was bounding out the door after school. The animation session was a favourite. He did his own animations for days afterwards. I think you followed through on your promise that it wouldn't be an average art class and that's what H responded to. Being not the greatest drawer he was really pleased to know that you can make art and be creative in many ways. I think he also enjoyed the open and fun nature of the club which I'm sure had something to do with the other participants and lots to do with the teachers! From my point of view it was a pleasure to pick H up at the end of the class and clearly see how much he had enjoyed himself. He's a lively boy and you seemed to be able to handle his personality well. We'll definitely want to do another session.


Finally, thanks for sending me invitations to openings etc. at Project Slogan. I haven't made it to one yet (summer was very busy). But I hope I'll make it to something soon.


Thanks,


G.