7 October 2013

the artist's studio

the artist's studio is a work of art in itself. what a load of shite

once I saw an artist, as part of a show, lay out an informational spread on how their work was made. what a palaver it is to make art, and we must share this with the world so as to prove that we do things with our time? it saddened me that what could have been a decent stand alone series of paintings was shat on by the fact the artists studio was opened, cleaned and mind mapped into a massive museum of how they make their work. it's patrionising to the viewer, and why would we as artists think that we have to defend our place in the world of the hard workers? don't you have enough confidence in your work that you have to brag about how you mix your own paint, and you can afford the rent on your studio? If that's what we're about, fuck that. I for one couldn't give a shit how you mix your paint. the studio is a place of work and a place of refuge, a place of privacy and isolation and making and then, leaving and going home. we make things, us artists and call me old skool but, the things have to overtake us. I hate all that bullshit about the artist being this 'brand' and this 'thing' without actually making shit. bragging about mixing paint is like a cleaner bragging about how they clean the shit off a toilet. it's part of the job. make that bathroom shine and you're a good cleaner, make some decent art and I think, that makes you a good artist, no?

subsequently you understand why I don't do open studio days, it's too neurotic. my studio is probably more creepy than I want to share with people. unless you want to buy something then COME ON IN

kidding. fuck off.

I'm nice really, honest.